How to Make a Bloody Mary
June 10, 2019
You love ordering Bloody Marys when you go out, but have you ever tried to make one at home? Whether you have never attempted to make this delicious cocktail or your previous efforts have fallen short of restaurant quality, we have good news. It is possible to improve your Bloody Mary-making skills.
With the right ingredients and by following our step-by-step process to proper Bloody Mary mixing, you will get a drink you’ll be proud to serve to guests — or maybe you will just want to keep it to yourself, it tastes so good.
Ingredients in a Bloody Mary
What is in a Bloody Mary? Most restaurants have their own slightly different twist on the drink. You can experiment once you get the basic recipe down. The classic Bloody Mary contains:
- Tomato juice
- Lemon or lime wedge
- Worcestershire sauce
- Tabasco sauce
- Smoked paprika
- Celery salt
Many people also like to add garnishes to their Bloody Marys. You can enjoy a lime or lemon wedge with the drink. We recommend adding a meat straw, a salty extra that perfectly balances the bite of this cocktail. Meat straws are made specifically for Bloody Marys and have become a must-have garnish for many home bartenders. Additional garnishes may include olives, parsley sprigs or the classic celery stalk.
Steps to Make a Bloody Mary
Now that you have the ingredients, let’s look at how to create the Bloody Mary:
- First, prepare the glass. Use your lemon or lime wedge to wet the outside of the glass, rubbing it around the rim. Sprinkle celery salt onto a plate, then turn the glass upside down onto the plate, rimming the edge with the celery salt. It should stick thanks to the lemon or lime rub. Set the glass aside.
- Squeeze the rest of the lemon or lime into a shaker. Add ice.
- Put the rest of the ingredients into the glass. Use about 4 ounces of tomato juice and 2 ounces of vodka, along with a dash of paprika and pinch of pepper. The rest of the ingredients you can adjust by taste. Some people prefer their drinks spicier than others. You may go light on the horseradish or Tabasco if you like things milder.
- Put the top on the shaker and shake your cocktail a few times. Strain it into the glass you set aside earlier.
- The last step is the garnish. The meat straw is a must-have. From there, you can choose whatever appeals to you or whatever you happen to have in your kitchen.
Once you have mastered the basic Bloody Mary recipe, make some innovations. Some people double up the hot sauce. Others pour a bit of Guinness beer on top. Whatever you enjoy, try it out and see how the drink tastes. Ask your friends for their variations, too — everyone has a favorite Bloody Mary recipe. And make sure to stock up on our meat straws ahead of time so that everyone gets one in their drink. Order yours today.